Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Speeding Cookie Thief

In class we read a poem by Valerie Cox titled, The Cookie Thief which explained the common situation of when a person makes an incorrect assumption about somebody else. People make assumptions all the time about the people around them, even strangers, and most of the time these assumptions are incorrect. Even though we would like to think its not true, everyone judges people whether they notice it or not. When I drive, I like to go fast so it annoys me when people drive under the speed limit or at the speed limit (god forbid they go 1mph over). So whenever I'm stuck behind a slow driver, I assume that they are either old or inexperienced and don't know how to drive that well. However, after getting my first speeding ticket yesterday, today while driving I realized how often I judge other drivers and classify them into groups such as old people or new drivers. I realized that my assumptions about other drivers are probably wrong most of the time because I was driving the exact speed limit today and I am neither a grandma or brand new driver. This shows that when I judged people on the road, I didn't take the time to think of other possible factors that could have been making them drive slow. So, I became the "cookie thief" after I drove slow to avoid getting another ticket.

1 comment:

  1. Aww...sorry about the ticket. Maybe you should stick with the dirt bike :-) hahaha

    ReplyDelete