Thursday, September 3, 2009

Macrosociology and Micosociology in my day

From the "abandon ship" activity in class we experienced many examples of macrosociological and microsociological values. From a macrosocoilogical perspective, all of the people on the boat were part of the "castaways" group and each individual's actions were influenced by the rest of the people on the boat. From a microsociological point of view, the individuals on the boat interacted with each other in different ways. For example, the football player took charge and was in control over who got to stay on the boat and who had to get off. Most of the other people followed his orders and were quiet when he talked.
Macrosociology is apparent in my daily life because I am a part of several different groups. For example I am a student, a senior, and I live in a suburb of Chicago. Specifically I belong to the third period AP environmental science group and the fourth period sociology group. From a macrosociology perspective I am a member of both of these groups and have many similarities with my classmates. But from a microsociology persepecitve, these two groups are very different based on how my classmates and I interact. My environmental class is extremely quiet and boring because my teacher gave everyone assigned seats away from their friends. There are usually awkward silences when my teacher finishes her sentences during a lecture. Since our teacher has a monotone voice and we can't talk to our friends across the room because we would get in trouble, everyone is very bored and sometimes people even fall asleep. In contrast, my next period sociology class is fun because a lot of the people in the class are friends and feel comfortable talking across the room to each other. This individual behavior makes everyone feel more comfortable, relaxed, and awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment