Thursday, November 5, 2009

Masculinity

This week in class we watched a few videos depicting what our society considers a "real man." The video by Lajoie about stay at home dads was espeically funny to me, since my dad is currently a stay at home dad. When we moved to Illinois 6 years ago for my mom's job, my dad had to leave his business in Cleveland. He is still able to run his business from our home in Illinois, and he goes to Ohio almost every other weekend to maintain it. Therefore, he is at home most of the time while my mom is in Chicago working. My dad is the one who takes my sister and I to school when we need a ride, and he sometimes takes us out to dinner or even makes dinner for my sister and I, and has it ready for my mom when she gets home from work. In our society, many people think that it is the woman's job to stay at home and take care of the kids, while the man goes out and makes money. This morning on my way to school I was listening to the radio and I was shocked to hear the talk show people supporting this idea. They were having women call in to say how they plan to have a good relationship if they can't cook for their man. They also said that after a woman has a baby and goes on maturnity league, they are expected to stay home with the baby and cook for it and their man. After they said this, an angry woman called in to argue that men can stay at home too and that it is ok if a man knows how to cook better than his girlfriend or wife does. The talk show hosts refuted that idea and said that if a woman doesn't know how to cook, then she will end up alone because no man will want to be with a woman who can't cook for him. This whole discussion made me very uncomfortable and upset, because the talk show hosts were extremely WRONG to say that it is a woman's job to cook and clean, and that it wouldn't make sense if a guy took on that role. My dad can cook, and he does a pretty good job of it. That fact shouldn't make him any less of a "man", at least not in my opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's great that your dads a stay at home dad. I find nothing wrong when the husband stays home with the kid(s). I mean why does it ALWAYS have to be the mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its absolutely not a womans "job" to cook and clean. Unfortunately this has become a cultural norm that is extremely hard to break. Good for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy that people with such power over people such as talk show hosts would be so firm in their opinions, especially with the sociological views expanding today. I think your dad is just as manly as my dad, and he's not a stay at home dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i personally don't see the problem with a stay at home dad either, it shouldn't just be up to the girl to take care of the baby, it's a team effort. And in todays society i feel that its not always the mans job to make all the money, in most families in the SHS district both parents have jobs and bring home money for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree that there should be no shock when someone says they are a stay at home dad. Times have changed, people need to understand that it's not the 1950's anymore where the women stayed home all day to cook dinner while the husband was out working.

    ReplyDelete