Thursday, October 15, 2009

Doing Nothing

Last Sunday I completed the assignment to "do nothing", which was a lot more difficult than one would think. While at dinner with my friends, I got up and stood next to the table for almost ten minutes, doing nothing. It was extremely difficult to think about absolutely nothing, because my mind kept wandering as I saw my friends around me eating and talking, and asking me what I was doing and if I was okay. It was also very difficult to break a social norm by doing nothing, when everyone around me was doing something. Breaking a social norm by doing nothing is similar to what the group Improveverywhere does. I watched some of their videos and they are hilarious....especially the foodcourt musical. It must be very difficult for all of the people who participate in those skits to break social norms so obviously! While I was doing nothing, my friends, and even strangers were staring at me, trying to figure out what I was doing, or if I needed help with something. It was embarassing to have so much attention drawn to me, but that is to be expected from everyone who steps out of the box and breaks a social norm.

2 comments:

  1. i felt the same way. my mind would wonder off to things i thought i would not think about at a dance like god i have soccer on monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really embarrassing for me too, to stand in the middle of a grocery storing doing nothing. But just like Sal said... we have to think about WHY its embarrassing... it's really not, but the social norm tells us that it is.

    ReplyDelete